The Prozor fortress was built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries on the territory of Cetina Prince Ivan Nelipić. It was first mentioned in 1406, when Vrlika and its environs were ruled by Bosnian nobleman and Split Prince Hrvoje Vukčić Hrvatinić.
The Prozor fortress has an irregular rectangular layout with a central fortified tower – the donjon – which would be entered walking up a stone ramp and crossing a movable wooden bridge on the eastern front. A dwelling unit, the governor's residence, was on the western side of the fortress.
On the eastern side it was defended by a smaller tower that has a circular layout. The entrance to the Prozor fortress was on its western side, protected by a special rounded wall. The inaccessible southern side of this building complex is protected by a low bulwark built on a rocky crag.
Due to its good condition, the fortress is considered to be one of the most important mediaeval fortresses in inland Dalmatia. The Prozor fortress offers impressive views of the Vrličko Polje Valley and Lake Peruća as well as the town itself and its environs.